Re: Dueling Engines

To: JRLNJ@aol.com
Subject: Re: Dueling Engines
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 18:47:21 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi, Ray-

Well, it got cold early this season up here
in the Northeast and APT was a little slow
in getting me the parts, so I'm waiting 'til
next spring when it gets a little warmer
with respect to the HIF44 conversion.

Considering today's unleaded premium
octanes, your spec. sounds reasonably
conservative which, IMHO, is the way
to go in terms of the Cooper S dizzy's
advance curve. Smart. Engine should
go very well with a generous safety
factor built in for longevity. Should have
a real strong mid-range with that cam.

My build is strictly low and mid-range
torque and was tailored to allow everything to happen below 5,000rpm
in consideration of the fact we'd be
overdriving the Judson to provide the
original 6psi boost curve to the larger
capacity engine. This factor is actually
the "rev. limiter" as far as the application
(and not the engine) is concerned.

You have any problem fitting the forward
muffler of the RC40 under the car? I
thought I would so just got the rear box
only.

One of the most major improvements
you will ever make will be the 5 speed
conversion. Since the first two gears of
the 5 speed are slightly "lower" than the
normal Spridget's box, a change to a
3.7 diff. won't affect initial acceleration
as compared to the 3.9 with Spridget
gearing, yet allow lower rpm cruise.

On the other hand, if low revs at
highway cruise is not a priority, retaining
of the 3.9 will make for stronger initial
acceleration, obviously! :)

Either way, synchro on first gear is so
nice to have along with the obviously
more quiet gearbox. You will find the
Datsun synchros are easier to beat,
especially 1st to 2nd until the box warms
up a bit. While mineral oils of the day
were intended for the 210's gearbox,
most users are using synthetics especially
for winter conditions. This stuff is pretty
"slippery" for the Datsun's synchros so I
am going to replace the Mobile 1 gear oil
with Royal Purple's Gear Max now a reason has come up to drive up to
Bridgeport, CT. tomorrow. a shot next week.

This is supposed to have friction additives
added which make synthetics compatible
with boxes whose synchros were initially
designed for mineral oils...we'll see.

Anyway the Datsun box will make a very
worthwhile change for the better, especailly considering the roller
throw-out
bearing's smoother "action". The Datsun
clutch disc Rivergate uses is smooth, but
extremely positive. Nice "action"!

Cap'n. Bob (Ret'd)
      '60 Frog