New Rear Shocks

To: spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: New Rear Shocks
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:21:21 -0800 (PST)
Thanks Peter C. Bugsy is now the proud recipient of a pair of Peter C.'s rear
shocks. After installing a set of his front shocks I experienced an
unbelievable improvement in handling. Bugsy went where pointed but still huge
amounts of body roll to the outside wheel. Hitting bumps made the read end
waddle is the best way I'd describe it. I knew things wern't under control back
there. I finished install of the rear shocks yesterday morning and finally got
to take Bugsy for a short drive in the sun, temps in the low 20's, top up, and
heater keeping things comfy.

I can report hitting bumps no longer upsets the rear end. Stays in place,
absorbs the bump and the waddle is gone. Taking a sharp corner, body leans just
a little and then zoom car responds, goes around corner like I remember a
Spridget can. Almost scary the way I can change directions so quickly and with
confidence. New handling abilities will take a little getting used to but I
love it.

High speed, I took Bugsy out on expressway and at 70+ car felt stable, tar
strips were absorbed by the suspension with no tendency to upset the direction
of the car as previously the case. Car is much easier to drive at speed. Felt
like I could use only one hand on the wheel rather than two firmly gripping the
wheel as before. I can actually imagine a trip >50 miles and arriving in decent
shape rather than exhausted from fighting the steering wheel.

I've done lots of things to restore Bugsy's suspension and handling to as close
as possible to new conditions. Mods include:

Rebuilt Shocks from Peter C. Front and Rear

New Bushings

Replaced A Arm, Kingpins, Spindles both side with used parts

Replaced Steering rack with used rack to reduce play in steering

Added Front Sway Bar off of '76 Midget.

Added lowering kit from VB

All of these mods helped to make Bugsy go around corners better and better.
Rear shocks though added the final piece. To anyone thinking that they are
doing ok handling wise with 30+ year old shocks on the car you can't believe
the difference until you drive the car before and after. Do Peter C's shocks
make a difference, you better believe it. Call me a satisfied customer.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH