bugeye bonnet fit

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: bugeye bonnet fit
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 08:38:17 EST
Hi listers:

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the fit on a bugeye bonnet?  Some of you may
remember a little over a year ago I hit a deer with this car.  It then went
to the body shop and had a lot of work done.  I then spent the summer doing
some mechanical work on it (5 speed, brakes, etc)  Now that the bonnet is
back on it seems like the front end is too high.  the gap along the edges
behind the wheel arches is nearly an inch from the rocker panels.  It may
have come back from the body shop this way.  but it fit much better before
the accident.  I can't see any way to adjust this short of cutting the air
duct-front hold down assembly loose from the inside of the bonnet and
re-welding.  As far as I know it (the front hold down assemby) was not
removed, and there wasn't that much done to the bonnet at the body shop.

Thanks for any input.

John O'Brien
'61 bugeye
'65 BJ8