RE: Splitpin removal

To: "'R. Glenn Cummins'" <robert.g.cummins@ua.edu>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Splitpin removal
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:13:32 -0500
this is how we do it at southwind motorsports complex..
don't remove it.. cut off the ends of the "cotter" pin until your 6 sided
socket (preferably 1/2" drive) fits over it. crank on the sucker, the cotter
pin will sheer from the excess torque.
then after the nut is off, use an appropriate size punch/drift to remove it
or a small drill bit if you must.

but umm.. if your replacing the assembly, then you usually get a new
kingpin/cotter pin/nut anyways. all you'll need is the fulcrum piece. in
which case you don't have to remove the sheared cotter pin..
RK

Okay, I know it's just a splitpin, but I still need help.  I'm trying to
remove the splitpin from the nut on top of the kingpin.  It's buggered up
something awful, and I haven't been able to coax it out.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Glenn C.
'74 Midget