Re: Painting over Waxoyl? 10:46:09 -0800

To: type79@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Painting over Waxoyl? 10:46:09 -0800
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:40:50 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net (Spridget list)
Hi, jf-

As I understand it, POR-15 is designed to
"stop" rust in it's tracks by disallowing
air and/or moisture further contact with
the coated surface, to which it bonds
whether rusted or not. POR's surface
"hardens" and is paintable after it does,
and in fact must be painted if it's surface
is (or will be) exposed to direct sunlight.

I would think waxoyl would do as well but
don't know about it's paintability. Rubberized undercoating might also
work
as well but I don't know to the extent it
"bonds" with the treated surface with
respect to efficacy over time.

Now Frank has had some experience with
this product and states rust continues it's
"dirty work" under the POR-15. Whether
this came from the "other side" I do not
know....forgot to ask him the last time he
posted on this product.

I can also see where you might have a
problem "under" POR-15 if applied under
very humid conditions or in a circumstance where the surface was not
100% moisture-free.

I used POR-15 on my "floors" after
cleaning up the metal and etching same
for maximum adhesion. Applied it about
a year or so ago. Frank says the floors
will "quietly" rust away and I'll find myself
sitting on the road one day! Gonna' look
pretty funny.....a guy sitting in the middle of the road on a sheet of
POR-15 wearing
a four-point harness, holding onto thin
air. Must remember to wear my scarf,
cap and be smoking my pipe when this
occurs for the maximum "joke" effect....

"Well, officer.....yes, Frank Clarici did warn me, however......"

Cap'n. Bob (Ret'd)
      '60 Frog