Bugeye, body sag

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, bugeye@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Bugeye, body sag
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 16:55:51 EST
I am almost finished with dismantling my '59 Bugeye.  The only thing that I
have left to remove are the springs and spring boxes.  However, because the
floors and floor rails are pretty much gone, I will be welding some temporary
braces across the door openings to keep the intergrity and match of the body
in place.  Currently there is a slight sag to the body evidenced by the fact
that the doors rub on the top of the rear pillar when closed.  I would like
to wled this up on Sunday.

My question to the list is this.  When welding the braces in place, should I
over-correct the sag (make the space at the top of the door slighty wider
than at the bottom) so that it levels off when everything is re-assembled and
the weight increases?  And if so, how much over-correction is acceptable?  I
flgure that even if the body is still slighty over-corrected when finished, I
could pull it (bend it slightly)  together with chains to make the door seams
parallel.

Or should I just level it off and depend on the weld repairs to bring back
tha body to a sound condition?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Gary Bouffard
'59 Bugeye