Re: Top replacement

To: jimdinalameda@hotmail.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Top replacement
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:17:24 EST
In a message dated 1/22/03 2:56:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jimdinalameda@hotmail.com writes:

> I need a new top for my 79 Midget and am seeking advice as to wether or not
> this is a DYI job. The guy's at Moss said it really was not but install
> prices are about $200 and would like to save the cash if possible.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Yes, it IS a DIY job.  I did mine alone and it is tight and drip free.  It
would have been easier with a helper to pull along with me.

I got a brand new Amco (sp?) top in the boot of my car when I bought it.  It
had never been installed.  Directions were included and it was marked exactly
where to attach it to the header bar.  A very easy installation.  Buy a new
rubber strip for the header bar since you are doing the work.

Since you are in AZ, keep in mind that the top stretches when it is hot.  If
you install it in the sun and make it nice and tight, you will not be able to
put the hood up when you visit the north in the winter.

Good luck,

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget  (#51 FSP)