Re: Catalytic Convertor

To: jimdinalameda@hotmail.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Catalytic Convertor
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:56:35 EST
In a message dated 1/24/03 7:00:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jimdinalameda@hotmail.com writes:
> Can I do it and not adversely effect performance? Also any
> input on carbs? I am on a limited budget but should I rebuild the Zenith or
>
> replace?

Jim:

My '79 has no catalytic converter or any other pollution control junk pulling
the engine down.  To do away with it is not to adversely affect performance,
but to positively affect it.  Of course here in Tennessee we have no
emissions testing program.

On the Zenith, I would lose it in favor of a Weber or SU carbs.  But if you
are on a very limited budget, you may have to rebuild the Zenith until you
can afford to go to a better carb.  I am running a Weber downdraft and it is
a pretty good carb--easy to tune and keep in tune, although there is a flat
spot at the beginning of acceleration.  I have a set of 1 1/2" SUs that I
plan to rebuild and put on the engine.  I also have the Spitfire manifold
that fits the 1500.  Anxious to try that out in the future.

--David C.