Re: No LBC but car related. does this sound correct 2003 05:39:14 -0600

To: toyman@digitex.net (Brad Fornal)
Subject: Re: No LBC but car related. does this sound correct 2003 05:39:14 -0600
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:33:21 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Brad...

I dunno but I'll be talking to my mech
this afteroon and I'll ask him his pro
opinion on your thoughts.  Maybe?!

We really need a metalurgy kinda guy
here. I mean, I've torn down and rebuilt
cast iron stuff before but what the hell
do I know about metalurgy!? I'm
probably mis-spelling it, to boot! :)

Evidently, the modern Japanese "all aluminum" engines (this is the way
my
mech explained it to me, anyway) take
a "set" as a combo under "tension" Normal "retorquing" will not
disturb this set, but releasing
the torque beyond a certain point, will.

Well, it's all built to a dollar (yen?!) and
a lb. for overall efficiency. Planned
obsolescence? A mistake? Sounds like
the latter to me but in reality, I have no
clue.

I can not imagine a mechanic (or one
who presents himself as such) releasing
out of sequence and not in "steps" as
removal IS the reversal of installaton, but
maybe your right.

But I'll ask for sure, 'cause I have no
clue when it comes to the modern Japanese all aluminum combo. but, so
far, I don't like what I'm hearing. This
joins the "destroy the engine" when the
timing belt snaps with respect to "interference" built (valve/piston)
engines built for again, "efficiency".

Cap'n. Bob (Ret'd)
      '60 Frog