Re: Steering Shaft size

To: Mike MacLean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Shaft size
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 20:25:25 -0500
Cc: jrlnj@optonline.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Mike MacLean wrote:
> Let me get this straight, all shafts 58-67 are interchangeable even though the
> splines changed from course to fine in 65.  Huh?

The whole shaft will fit in any tube up until they went to the
collapsable column in 68. But you can even replace the later columns
too. I have a 65 Sprite column in a 73 Midget. I did the same to a 68, I
hate those padded dashboards.  So to use the early metal dash, I had to
change to an early Steering column.
The steering wheels are not interchanable, but the whole column is.
And the shafts are interchangable inside the columns (up to 67)
So if you want a Bugeye 2 spoke steering wheel in a 66 Sprite, change
the shaft. That is what I meant.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ