Sheet metal flanges

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sheet metal flanges
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 18:44:40 -0500
Listers,

What is recommended, what has worked, what do you do when:
On the body panels, two flanges are spotwelded together.  Some rust has
developed between the two pieces. What is the best way to handle this:

1. Clean it out as best you can and encapsulate it.
2. Use a dremel and slice between the two to remove any and all rust, then
encapsulate or por 15.,
3. Grind the area out, and weld it up.  I am thinking this way, because in
the Midget Restoration book, Lindsay says "a better solution to spot welds
is to seam weld the two flanges.

He is talking new flanges here, not ones that already have had moisture
penetration.

Any ideas before I break out the dremel, grinder, tooth-pick??

TIA
Brent