Re: Perplexed Pertronix

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Perplexed Pertronix
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 21:59:47 -0600
Hi Spridgeteers,

I have been a little quiet the last few years but maybe I can help here.

Mike

I would take another look at that 20 AWG wire from the + coil terminal (CB
on a positive ground car) to ground.  The ground path must be through the
Pertronix in the distributor.  The coil requires the make/brake contact
inside the Pertronix to cause the field to generate the spark.  The proper
wiring should be as follows:

Positive Ground Car Only

The switched ignition wire should go to the - (minus) side of the coil.
Check by putting a test light on the - terminal and turn the key on, the
light should light.
The 'hot" side of the Pertronix should also go the - side of the coil to
power the Pertronix unit.

The CB lead of the Pertronix should go to the + side of the coil.

There should be no other wire on the + side of the coil.  ( I think this is
where your problem is)

The circuit path is like this:  Ignition power to the coil (-), through the
coil to the + (CB) terminal.  Then to the Pertronix unit which will (when
energized by the magnet on the rotor post) complete the path to chassis
ground through the distributor plate.  You do want to make sure that the
plate that the Pertronix mounts on has a solid path to ground.  There is a
fine flexible wire that should ground the plate to the housing, I have seen
several of these go bad which caused poor spark or intermittent operation.

Hope you all are doing well, I still miss my Midget but am enjoying my
Healey 100 (BN1).  It is really just like a big Spridget, the main
difference is that it is almost as old as me and damn near as worn out.  I
is also hard to be a member of the "we tight club" with a big old Healey.  I
will probably find me another Spridget this summer, keep your eyes peeled
and let me know if you see a nice car.

Mark Endicott
Nashville