bugeye fuel tank sender unit

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: bugeye fuel tank sender unit
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 01:55:34 -0500
im working on the fuel tank sending unit, all day. anyhow i have several of
these, but the "original" one off the car, when opened up, the single strand
wire that runs from the spade terminal to the far end of the coil inside was
missing a middle section. I soldered a new single strand of copper wire from
the spade to the end of the coil. I also put dielectric grease on the sides of
the coil, where the two metal wiper arms contact it and move up and down in
relation to float position. I get 0 Ohms resistance between the input spade,
and the metal body of the unit, regardless of the position of the float. I dont
think this is right. the other units i have also give the same readings. Whats
wrong here?
Unabridged version/photos here
http://www.mgmania.net/msgthread.cfm?threadid=36924&InfoID=1&SiteMessages=7

Thanks-Josh