Re: No LBC-jack/GPS/Radar detector 14:19:22 -0800

To: pythias@pacifier.com (Bill L)
Subject: Re: No LBC-jack/GPS/Radar detector 14:19:22 -0800
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:28:22 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Bill...

I have seen three accidents, two of them
involving SUV's doing their over the top
thing in "turn and brake" and know of one
other involving a new Audi TT wherein
modern restraint systems (inclusive of
airbags) allowed those involved, in each
case, to walk away basically unscathed
in accidents that would have normally
involved pretty horendous human damage, if not death, by yesterday's
standards.

Nothing is perfect, and it is true that
airbags came out coincident with modern
"roll cage" structure design, so I don't
statistically what part of the whole modernization thing any one thing
is
responsible for, in saving lives or injuries.

But to see peope crawl out of cars which
are obviously crushed "totals" and stand
up and walk away is just simply amazing.

Years ago in the cars I grew up with, they
wouldn't have stood a chance.

My BE seats have no headrests and it's
rear lighing (pretty dim by today's standards) sits well below the line
of
sight of most cars, including the SUV's
proliferating the highways in greater
numbers each year.

I have installed dual bulbs in my amber-
lensed rear blinkers...they now double as
running lights...really brightens up the rear
of the car in terms of the guy following.

That third brake light can only help in this
respect as well. Both "improvements" are
"cheap" insurance in anyone's book, you
must admit. I also use a four point 3"
wide harness as well and of course, there
is the roll bar (welded) which also doubles
as a structual "stiffener".

Have I covered all the bases...nope....you
can never cover all the bases....you just
do what you can to "limit".

Cap'n. Bob (Ret'd)
      '60 Frog