Re: CEI ign amplifier

To: "Spridgets" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: CEI ign amplifier
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:51:24 -0500
the Lucas CEI system was a warranty replacement by BL for the failing OPUS
electronic ignition systems (those are the ines that have the big square box on
the side of the dizzy). Most RB B's and Midgets started with an OPUS dizzy,
usually a Lucas 45DE4. The CEI I believe is a Lucas 45DM4 dizzy. The CEI on my
'79 was a black box mounted on the cover of the pedal box, with the coil
mounted on top of that.

Someone mentioned that the CEI is pretty reliable. I believe I read somewhere
that the actual module inside the black box is a standard GM ignition module (4
pin ring a bell?) from the era, so if it ever goes it's fairly easy to find a
replacement.

Every once in a while a NOS unit shows up on Ebay. Complete dizzy, black box
and harness.

-=Chris
Chris King   - cbking@alum.rpi.edu
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kvcbk/