Re: Switch assy

To: Alex Volk <talla@TELUSPLANET.NET>
Subject: Re: Switch assy
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:22:19 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Alex Volk wrote:

> I see in the catalogs that there is a pressure switch (looks like a sideways
> "H")
> is this required. It is very expensive

Alex, read up on the current thread about the pressure fail switch.
This is what you are missing but you don't need it.
When your brake pedal hits the floor, it lights a dash light telling you
you have no brakes. But when your pedal hit the floor, you knew this as
you ran that stop sign or hit the fence ;)
You can plumb the leter brake system to an early car a couple ways.
1) find a used pressure fail switch, new ones are 300 bucks +.
Buy 2 Mini brake Ts, Minis use a 3 way, one in, 2 out. You will need 2
of them. Front brake line from the master to a T and to both calipers,
same for the rear brake line.
Also, Spridgets have the same thing on the diff where the line splits to
the rear wheels. 2 of those will work.
On one I did I drilled out the pressure failure switch and fitted it
with an early style brake light switch (same as you already have) But on
mine, I have a single master (cirrca 1967) not the tandum so my
defeating the pressure fail switch made no difference.
With your new brake pedal box, there is provisions for the later
mechanical stop light switch. 68 on Lucas is what was there but a modern
japanese car (I think Subaru) uses a very close metric threaded
mechanical stop light switch and it's only a couple bucks. I do not know
what year or model Subaru, they all look the same to me. The switch is
plastic and will self cut it's own threads in the midget pedal box.

As for those pedals, I only have one. I must have cut up the other for
the gas pedal a while back.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ