RE: NO LBC CONTENT! Jacques vs French bashing

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: NO LBC CONTENT! Jacques vs French bashing
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 11:39:18 -0800
I keep reading those "bash the French" things, and some were sent to me
personally. Does the fact I have a French name or that I was born there
offend some of you? Or do you think I will find the "French bashing" posts
amusing?

Just to make matters clear:

1. Yes, I was born in France and lived there 22 years. So I guess I am "the
enemy". I did not realize France was at war with the US though.  Just in
case, should I surrender now, as all Frenchmen are rumored to do? Somebody
forgot to tell my father (who was in a German prison camp), my uncle (who
was in a concentration camp in Poland), and others in my family who fought
and/or did not survive the two WW.

2. Like many other Frenchmen of my generation and that of my father's, I
have always been grateful for the help the USA and other allies (especially
Great Britain) gave France during the last two World Wars and in the years
after (Marshall plan, etc).

3. I am an American citizen- but once born French, always a Frenchman,
right? And, of course, I am responsible for the policies of a government in
a country I left in 1970 and where I never voted.

Prejudice in any form is reprehensible, and generalizations about people or
nations are usually erroneous at best, mean or/and stupid at worst.

Jacques le Clainche, born French, long time British Isles resident, American
Resident since 1990 and Citizen since 1996.

---