RE: Major carbon buildup on one valve (a little long)

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Major carbon buildup on one valve (a little long)
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:14:23 -0500
Cc: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@Exit109.com>, "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h2HEEI0K011237
Thanks to Frank and Bob for their input!

The Sprite has become my only means of transport (my Jag is under the knife for
a second transmission in two weeks - long story!), so I had to sort something
out quickly.  I cleaned up the head and lapped all the valves.  The crudded up
one lapped in fine, so no apparent burning.  New head gasket, and I was on the
road this morning - no problems so far!

I would have liked to have taken Frank's advice and pull out that piston to see
what the deal is, but didn't have the time.  Hopefully I've bought myself
enough time to get the Jag back up and running (and finish the kitchen off for
the missus!).

I changed the oil while I was at it and put some Castrol High Mileage in to see
if that might reduce the smoking (which isn't really that bad for now).  Anyone
else tried this stuff with any success?  I'm not really one to believe in snake
oil, but I thought I'd give it a bash anyway.

Phil