WAS: Peace Activist Etiquette NOW: Teachers as protestors

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: WAS: Peace Activist Etiquette NOW: Teachers as protestors
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:04:08 -0600
Date:   Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:36:19 -0500
From:   Carl Elliott <celliott133@comcast.net
<mailto:celliott133@comcast.net> >
Subject:        Re: Peace Activist Etiquette ...very little LBC (delete now
if  yo u don't like rants)

.....They don't teach about the Vietnam war because of the
vast numbers of  Teachers (then students ) who protested.....

>Come on, Carl!  I can empathize with the emotion behind your statement, but
do you really think that the number of teachers who disagreed with the
Vietnam War was more "vast" than the numbers of architects, ministers,
pediatricians, etc.?  Some people were supportive of the war back then, and
some disagreed.  And some have changed their minds in the intervening years
(in either direction).  But I can tell you that I am personally acquainted
with (and related to) a number of school teachers who served in the
military, did their time in-country back then, and came home to unwarranted
public abuse.  You know what?  Some of them think we'd STILL be fighting in
Vietnam if public opinion hadn't convinced one of our most conservative past
presidents to "call it a day."  Maybe this current war should have happened
a long time ago, and just maybe we will live to pay a dear price for the
strategy we are now pursuing.  One thing I do know---  looking ahead to 25
years of unpredictable and uncontrollable sporadic terrorist actions against
our country and our civilian population doesn't sound like "Freedom" to me.
Get your head out of the sand, Carl.  The war of terrorism against the U.S.
has just barely started and the battles for Iraq and Sadam's ass are only a
blip on the screen.

>I pray for a quick victory; I pray for a fast, equitable, re-establishment
of civilian control in Iraq; and I especially pray for peace.

>Motor on, mates!

--JohnD

 and directly
caused the deaths of americans and millions in South East Asia after our
departure . The Vietnam war was lost on the streets and in the
universitys of America. Keep your heads in the sand . Freedom is not
Free . It comes at a great cost .
Carl E.