RE: You may not wish to read this. No LBCFrom the Front Lines

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: You may not wish to read this. No LBCFrom the Front Lines
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 15:02:03 -0800 (PST)
RE:the problem with that is the man who
> shot him the
> "Vietnamese soldier" was the Siagon chief of police,
> and had just left
> his home where the "citizen" and a couple of his
> "friends" had been
> caught after they raped and killed the chief's wife
> and 4 daughters,
> during Tet of 68.  I guess the fact that the photo
> and film were
> published widely, and the whole story was not,
> speaks loudly for the
> press at the time.

Or, it just reveals that I am a "visual" person rather
than an literal one. I remember the image and relate
it to a horendous event. I guess in the long run it
didn't matter as much to me as to why, as to what. The
image of the instant of death is probably more
significant than the written description. I guess that
is why it was easier for me to look at a radar scope
and tell airplanes where to fly to do the "work" than
it would have been for me to ride along and say, "Ok,
drop one here, on him and over there on them, etc."
It's not often you wake up in a sweat over a darkened
radar scope like you would with watching the person at
the end of you weapon explode. I guess that is why I
respect those men of war who do the really hard job
that keeps me from having to see it or do it. I can
rest assured that if they did not do it, I would have
to stand in my front yard someday and do it to protect
my family from every little tyrant to appear on the
face of the earth that viewed my simple life and
determined how much of it he wanted. Or I could not do
it and watch him do it to my family and friends and
neighbors and cats and dog. Too many images for me to
carry.

Thanks guys, bill b.
There, I went and said it.