U-joints?

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>, midgetsprite group <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: U-joints?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 18:32:31 -0700 (PDT)
Running smooth, so it's time to evaluate other things.
When I am running at a fair clip. 4000rpm, in 4th
gear, and let off the gas, abruptly, I get a "clunk,"
not to be confused with a "thunk ." Also, still have
the springey sound coming from the center hump.

I'm thinking u-joints? does it sound like that?

Also, while I was thrashing around under the car
replacing the clutch slave, I replaced the speedo
cable with a new one. It still does not go round and
round at the top end. Would the next likely culprit be
the nylon gears in the transmission?

thanks, bill b. Sprite, '69 1275