Re: undercoating new panels

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: undercoating new panels
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:08:01 +0100
Dave
My experiences of successful use of non-motor trade materials over he past
20 years or so is below.

I have used a basecoat of a phosphorous based (bright pink colour!) paint
used to paint highway bridge metalwork, leaving that for a week to dry
before covering it.  This is a fairly soft paint but is a material that is
supposed to combine with the steel and resist the rust worm.  To protect and
hide (!) this material I have used all sorts of top coats from an oil based
household gloss paint to a non setting roof felt undercoat (Rubberiod
Mastic) and Hammerite.  This has been on various buildings and vehicles over
the years.  On the Cross Country vehicles, (peat bog, sea beaches etc the
Rubberiod Mastic was great but it would wear off whereas the household gloss
paint and Hammerite would not.  The household paint and Hammerite would
flake off when hit by chunks of rock but the Rubberoid Mastic would 'heal'
itself.  Hammerite over Rubberoid mastic was a waste of time - on the 4X4.
It provided the worst of both worlds!
As my Sprite is a road motor and the progress of vehicle undercoats has
progressed I will be using the 'pink paint' (that has been great and no
metal painted with it has rusted over the past 22 years (or so)) protected
by a spray-on rubber based, flexible undercoat specifically made to cover
seams and joints.
This stuff is not cheap but it works and based on a future vehicle use of
around 15-20 years in the future it should pay for itself many times.  The
Rubberoid Mastic would do if maintaining membership of the We Tight Club.
Trade names can be provided with a little research - get off my butt and
hunt through the garage!
The truck bed liner stuff sounds as if it good, especially under wheel
arches, but I would be tempted to put it over either a zinc or phosphorous
based layer if using it on bare metal.
The bottom line is that the phosphorous stuff works but needs protecting!

Guy R Day

n.b.  The oil and rubber based materials do tend to burn reasonably well,
even when many years old!