so ya wanna go ta school ta learn ta weld?

To: "David Ramsey" <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: so ya wanna go ta school ta learn ta weld?
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 08:40:01 -0400
Cc: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
for mig welding i would reccomend getting the welder and practicing on some
scraps from a local body shop's junk pile!  use real automotive gauge scrap
metal.  welding steel plates and structural metals is rather easy.  doing
thin guage metals takes a bit of practice to get the right heat range and
proper wire feed speed.
expensive really really good mig's have near infinite adjustments for heat
and wire speed.  110V. units are rather simplified in their adjustments.
get a welder and use yours for practice!   all units are similar but!  you
will find the welders at a trade school of any type far exceed the welder
any hobbyist will ever own.  learning tig and doing aluminum work again is
far beyond most hobbyists abilities.    unless you are extremly anal about
doing evrything by the book, wich in most cases goes right out the window on
your first attempt, try teaching yourself.    all the carefull rules are a
good thing to know.  but in automotive restoration work it's always at an
odd angle, a tight confined area, and so on!   in school running a perfect
bead on a welding table is nothing like laying under a car with hot metal
dropping on you burning into your flesh!  they will tell you wear all the
protective clothes and heavy gloves.   they end up laying by the welder to
pick up a hot piece to take it to be cooled or quenched!   you will be told
to wear the protective garments too!  and the darn helmet!  just wait untill
you try to weld a spridget front floor in wearing that stupid welding hood!
yes safety is a good thing!  but in the real world it's almost always a
compromise.   get a welder and start a few fires and burn yourself a few
times and burn through some metal !   you will find out that the welders at
schools are nothing at all like the welder you are going to rent or own!
then you begin learning all over again!  i'm not trying to be negative about
this.   just realistic.....

chuck.