Timing

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Timing
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:04:00 -0400
All,

Yesterday I tried to set my timing using a 30 year old timing light that
either worked or it didn't.  yesterday it didn't want to work (I think I may
have found the problem? read on).  So today I splurged and bought a new
Sears timing light, the one with the knob you can advance to check your max
advance setting.  I can not get the bugger to work on the number 1 wire!  It
works fine on the 4 & 2 wires but NADA on the number 1 &3 wires.  Changed
the number one wire to a solid copper core one and nothing.  The
Instructions said solid core wires "may radiate too much and use a
resistance type"  so I put on a brand new never used number one resistance
wire and still NADA.  I am getting enough spark at the number 1 to knock my
you know what across the garage.  Ditto on the #3 wire, plenty of spark but
no reading/triggering the timing light.  If the number 4 wire was long
enough I would swap it!  Even tried using a seperate fully charged battery
seperate from the car as power source for the light but it made no
difference.  Checked the connections in the cap, checked the rotor,  no way
to really check the Pertronix but I am getting mucho spark to all 4 plugs.

Can't think of what to do next,  I am open to any and all suggestions!

TIA,
Biff Jones
'59 Bugeye 'Kermit'
'61 Sprite 'Ole Gray' in "The Healey Book"
'71 Midget 'Freebie' under restoration
http://sprites2.homestead.com/
Sprite Spree '03  http://www.justbrits.com/spreefront.html