Re: [midgetsprite] Re: A car SMALLER than a Sprite!!!

To: stevenm@optonline.net
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Re: A car SMALLER than a Sprite!!!
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 20:36:54 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
I had one just like it, same color.  I bought it new in 1971.  I noticed you
have the flat rear bumper.  Later ones had a more eliptic shape to them.  If I
remember correctly I paid $1475.00 for it.  I immediateley bored it out to 750
CCs using Hoda 750 pistons, a hot cam, bigger valves
and a bigger carb.  Wide tires and Koni shocks on all four corners made it a
screaming slot car!  Wouold corner flat and top end went from about 75 MPH to
110 MPH!  The only problem was you were turning over 10000 RPM instead of the
normal 6000 or so.  You could could do this for a few
minutes at a time.  Any longer and you would burn up the motor.  I know, I did
it twice.  The mechanic just pulled the head and bottom of the engine out and
bored it again in the car.  Back on the road in an afternoon.  Heck it's just a
motorcycle motor.  It was a lot of fun, but man was
it small!  I had this the same time I had my first Bugeye.  It mas the Bugeye
look huge!
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite