Upon further investigation

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Upon further investigation
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:14:52 -0400
Listers,

Back about the 1st of March I reported having heard what sounded like the
fan hitting the radiator on my Midget 1500  with no apparent indications.  I
was searching for possibilities and asked the list for advice.

Well after recieving several good pieces of advice and several things to
look for.  And having ruled out everything from fan, to clutch, water pump,
motor mounts,  etc....... Well, I think I found the source of that noise.

After putting everything back together and not ever finding the source -
this was still bothering me.  Well, tonight, I put her up on jack stands in
preparation to lube the front end and check things out.  While I was laying
under the front end, I just happen to look up and something did not look
quite right.  At first I couldn't figure out what was bothering me, then it
hit me - that Big Nut is GONE.  Sure enough, the crankshaft pulley nut is
gone.

I don't see how that nut could have come off without causing some damage.
The noise I heard must have been the last couple of threads as the nut spun
off with the flats hitting the steering rack. There are not marks on the
steering rack, so I don't know.  But I do know that the steering rack has to
come loose in order to get a new nut on there.

So - other than Lock-tite and 150# of torque, are there any other things I
should look for?

Brent