Spring Oil Changes

To: spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Spring Oil Changes
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 07:28:08 -0700 (PDT)
Bugsy got a fresh batch of 20W-50 Pennzoil this morrning. I replaced the 10W-30
I was using for some early Spring driving in March when temps were lower. After
making some blasts at 70+ on the expressway I wasn't happy with the oil
pressure I was getting once oil got up to full temps. Pressure cold was 60+ and
idle 35-40 lbs. At higher temps I was only getting 40-45 lbs @ 4,000 rpm and
20-25 at idles after coming off expressway. Pressure went back up after oil
cooled down. Switch back to 20W-50, pressure cold 70+, idle 50+. Quite a
difference in oil pressures due to viscosity. I'm thinking next year since
Bugsy stays in an attached garage and he's never driven below 30 degrees I
ought to stay with 20W-50 year round. Any thoughts.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH