Re: Caliper rebuild question

To: "Chris King" <cbking@alum.rpi.edu>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Caliper rebuild question
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 12:40:29 -0500
At 07:42 AM 5/7/2003, Chris King wrote:
>Any good ways to get the last one out? I'm replacing all 4, since they're
>only about $10 each, so destructive methods (to the pistons) are also welcome.
>-=Chris
====
It's probably too late as you may have tried the other suggestions, but
keep this in the memory banks.... If you are figuring to rebuild a caliper,
use the car's hydraulics before removing them from the car. I rebuild a lot
of calipers and have made a master cylinder stand that I can use on the
bench. The amount of pressure from the master cylinder always works. Once 1
piston moves a bit, hold it with a c-clamp using a pad, then the other will
move. Once they're broken free, but for whatever reason didn't come out all
of the way, you can use a sharp chisel and work them out from side to side
by rocking them. I've got it to under 3 minutes to strip them.
         Peter C