Freak'n Spridgets

To: George and June <bmidget1@aol.com>, Sizematters <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Freak'n Spridgets
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 05:06:20 -0400
Well it certainly looks like you guys had something to talk about.

I have tryed to reply to all the kind notes I received (Brent please except
this this as my reply to you) and think you have a very good thing going here.
You do have a couple of very angry folks here however and I'm sure you know
who they are. One note I got telling me I " can go eat S&%t and die" was not,
I'm pretty sure now, an invite to his house for a BBQ but I maybe wrong.

The only reason why I have decided to reply to the list directly is because of
my good friend George. He is my closest friend in the world (after Eileen) and
I would hate to be the reason he left this list. In just the last couple of
years George & June and Eileen & I have traveled together approx. 10,000
miles. From Long Island, NY to: Texas, Maine, multiple trips to: Maryland,
Delaware, Pennsyvania, Jersey and Connecticut.  We always had one of our Bs
and George and June were always in their red Midget. George and I will be at
Carlisle and we'll have "the girls" with us when we hit the road for 11 days,
next month, to attend MG 2003 in St Louis. His car has gotten around to so
many places that it's picture has appeared in the MGB Driver something like 10
times. Had Jay F. looked into my offer of Carlisle accommodations he would
have found my offer to be a roll away or air matress in a room that George and
I are sharing for the event. Would have been nice to have a third party split
the cost of the ridiculously over priced rooms. Jay would have also found that
my offer to "a fellow NAMGBR member" was made half in jest. This offer still
stands, BTW and not just to Jay.

Do I believe that support of clubs thru membership is extremely important? You
bet I do and if you are one of the folks who's experiences with clubs as lead
you to conclude that they are evil, then I say to you, they are a necessary
evil. This little cyber-spridget world of yours does not reach all. I think
alot of the experiences, I had related to me from Spridget owners about clubs
were based on limited initial contacts. Human being are a strange species and
most need to be given time to warm up to. To tell you the truth, I like my
cars more than I like most people.

I have signed on to the spridget digest and as much as I appreciate all the
offers of help, I honestly prefer working on my cars alone. At the same time
it is usually me getting my hands dirty when one of my fellow club member's
cars have trouble. I caught alot of flack at Carlisle last year when I was
supposed to speak at a pre-scheduled meeting of the MG Council of North
America. One of my friends had trouble with their MG and I was tied up helping
him to get it running again. I had alot of folks accuse me of not having my
priorities right. I asked these critics "if it were your car I was working on,
would my priorities have been correct?"

Finally: I am involved with these cars because they give me a great source for
pleasure and feeling of accomplishment. I have over thirty years of experience
with working on cars. This is not what I do for a living.........I am a truck
driver (that should answer alot of your questions about me). In fact I spend
three years driving a tow truck providing roadside asistance to motor club
members. When people used to ask me what I did for a living, I told them, "I
am a professional hero". My boss pulled me aside on more than one occasion to
tell me how he makes more money when I tow the cars than when I get them
running.   If you think I maybe able to asist you, don't hesitate to contact
me.If you think I'm "arrogant" and "full of myself", that's too bad, I'm not
going to think less of myself to make you feel better.  If you don't like me,
that's fine but do yourself a favor,  stay outta way  :-) Any other
problems........GET OVER IT!!! we only got so much time, let's not waste it.

Enjoy the ride,
Happy Trails,
Safety Fast,
David Deutsch
1974, 75, 80 MGBs
1978 Midget
Chairman/member of North American MGB Register
and Chairman MG Council of North America, If this makes me a "climber", Then I
guess I'm KING OF THE MOUNTAIN!!! :-)
Proud member of MG Car Club - Long Island Centre
and Connecticut MG Car Club
My son, Adam, owns a 1972 MGB and is a
proud member of NAMGBR
and San Diego MG Car Club