Re: Engine Problem

To: <TMHEFFRON@aol.com>, <brister@hal-pc.org>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Problem
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 16:02:51 -0400
> brister@hal-pc.org writes:
>
> << I've asked for the Sprite email address with no response.
>  Since my Sprite is a Healey and the engine is four cylinder, perhaps
>  someone will/can give me a clue as to what to do.   My 948 engine had
>  been sitting for around a year.   After going through all the
>  preliminaries... hand crank, etc.  I  started it.  Points were clean and
>  correct.   The engine idles strong but upon acceleration loses power.
>  Same when driving.. 1st and 2nd are strong but 3rd and 4th lose power
>  and the engine occasionally backfires.  Firing order is 1-3-4-2.
>   Compression consistantly reads 150 on 1,3 and 4.  It reads 140 on 2 for
>  just a second and then jumps to 150 and remains there.
>
>  Any clue as to what to look for? >>

Had same problem with my 948 after rebuilding it. I went back over the
timing, points, and plug gap. Performance improved once I did a static
timing verses strobe. My other problem is the reduced HP from the 1275 that
I removed to make the car more original.
Allen
1960 bugeye
www.almarkenterprises.com
PS: If anyone is interested in supporting me so I can continue with this
hobby please feel free to check out my business web site.