77 Midget front end rebuild, excess stub axle play from [141.150.43.75]

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: 77 Midget front end rebuild, excess stub axle play from [141.150.43.75] at Thu, 15 May 2003 22:51:22 -0500
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 23:26:44 -0400
I am in the process of re-assembling the front end of my Midget.  The
problem is that when I tighten the kingpin nut down onto the shock
trunnion link I have excess play on my stub axle assembly.  By that I
mean that the stub axle can slid up and down by about 1/8".  I have
replaced the kingpin, kingpin bushes (then were ream at the machine
shop), the arm are rebuilt, and the fulcrum pin.

Everything that can be rebuilt or replaced has been. But on
re-assembly the stub axle can slide up and down the kingpin by about
1/8".  There is one thrust washer that is on the top of the stub axle
assembly.  It almost seems that the new kingpin is to long, but that I
doubt.

Any ideas what is wrong?  What should I re-check.

--
Later,
 Bill                          mailto:w.gilroy@verizon.net

"The liver is evil, it must be punished"
77 Midget