Re: 77 Midget front end rebuild, excess stub axle play

To: Bill Gilroy <w.gilroy@verizon.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 77 Midget front end rebuild, excess stub axle play
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 10:44:55 -0700
Bill,

There ARE two different length king pins, one for drum and one for disc
brake. If I remember correctly, the drum brake ones are longer by the
approximate length you describe. Also, there are small, thin shims that
belong on that last step in the king pin just below the trunnion. These are
used to compensate for the up/down play you are experiencing, but usually a
few thousands, not an 1/8 inch. I suppose you could stack a few, but I
think too many might disintegrate. The ID/OD would be very difficult to
find in a washer size. If the king pins are new, Sounds like you might have
the wrong set. I suggest you check with the supplier for the correct part.
Maybe someone goofed.

Gerard