Re: D@ng Bleed Screw won't seal

To: "Michel R. Gagne" <mgagne@unc.edu>, "spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: D@ng Bleed Screw won't seal
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 21:48:13 -0400
welcome to an uncomfortable place!  over time overzealous mechanics have
believed that tightening up a bleeder is good so making it even tighter is
better!  two unfortunate things happen.
1:  the threads in the hole and on the bleeder get stretched horribly and
wil leventually fail!
2:  the taper on the end of the bleeder and the taper in the bottom of the
bore(seat) become deformed.
the darn bleeder in these extremes are custom deformed to the cylinder's
seat!   in some cases a new bleeder screw or a good used one can be fitted.
unfortunatly not always.   this becomes a bit of detective work to see the
contact area in the seat and on the taper on the screw to see who is the
culprit.   i have a collection of used bleeders for just such a situation.
now!  here comes the fix of the century if yer not gonna replace the wheel
cylinder!
get an "O" ring small enough that will snugly fit into the hole.  locate a
bolt with a nut on it that is long enough to bottom out in the bore.
bottoming out the bolt in the bore seals the brake fluid by compressing the
"O" ring and the nut on the bolt becomes the jamb nut that will lock the
bolt in the bore.   now with the newer cylinders you are actually looking at
hardware more akin to machine screws as opposed to the older cylinders that
would accept a bolt.    this is not "the proper fix" but will work!
now!  i strongly reccomend replacing the cylinder or fitting if this occurs!
but if ya gotta......this is gonna get ya up and running!

chuck.
oh boy is this one gonna go down in the "we tight" catagory for eternity!