OT: Honda Electrical Problem - longish

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: OT: Honda Electrical Problem - longish
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 14:56:43 -0400
  Just looking to the collective wisdom of the board ...

We have a '97 Honda Accord with only about 40K on the clock,
still on it's original battery. (I'ts our rainy day/haulstuff car.)

Yesterday, coming home from the gym, we got partially T-boned
by a pickup truck. Hit the right rear quarter panel a glancing blow,
enough for a small dent -- not enough to do any real damage.
We stopped. The poice came. We started the car (fine) and drove
into a nearby parking lot - where we sat with the engine off and
the radio on while waiting developments.

When we were done, I turned the key and ... click, click, click
goes the solenoid. No start. So I pushed; Nancy popped the
clutch and we started and went STRAIGHT home.

In the driveway, I stopped the engine. Retarted, but hesitant turnover.
Tried again and it ground down and eventually died.

Put the battery on a charger overnight. This morning, put the battery
back in the car. Started, but hesitantly. Gonna try it again later.

Question: is there any way that a minor rap to the tail end of the
Honda might/could/would effect the starting system? Or is this
just a coincidence and new battery will fix 'em right up??

thanks,

chuck