Re: British Volvos

To: rfeibusch1@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: British Volvos
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 14:57:45 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Rick,

Beg to differ, here.  The following comes from the website of the P1800
club of Sweden:

"The problems were not yet over. Disagreements about the quality of the
car made Volvo to place members of its own staff stationary in the Jensen
plant to supervise the assembly of the car. The low quality of the
assembly and lacquer work gave Volvo a bad reputation. When Volvos new
car plant was ready in 1963, space was provided for the P1800 in the old
Lundby plant. The agreement with Jensen was solved by compensation. When
6 000 cars were built [the contract was originally for 10,000], the
production was transferred to Gothenburg. The cars got the suffix S
that stands for made in Sweden."

This is not to say that Jensen always built poor quality cars.  On the
contrary, Jensen built some very fine cars.  The Interceptor is as solid
a vehicle as you will ever find.  It had to be to handle the Chrysler 440
(not Austin) running gear.  The downside is that all the panels were
welded on-- expensive to fix if you ever pranged it.

Jensen also built the Sunbeam Tiger bodies under contract.

David Littlefield
1962 MGA MkII
1974 MG Midget vintage racecar
1951 MGTD