Re: Handbrake linkages - axle end

To: <Daniel1312@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Handbrake linkages - axle end
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 21:36:55 -0400
may i suggest a proper repair of the worn rods?   it happens frequently in
clutch linkage, brake linkage(when addressing mechanical rod type) and items
like master cylinder push rods where the clevis pin passes through and the
holes in the pedals where the pin passes also.   frequent unlubricated
friction under pressure.   i get the pleasure of fixing this malady over and
over.  fabrication of replacement components is not only time consuming but
costly .  sooooo, here is the big fix!
you weld up the damaged rods holes(no matter if it's a forked piece with
double holes or a single hole or a shaped rod with a 90 degree bent end !
weld up the worn area and return a shaft to the proper outside diameter or
weld shut the hole and drill it to the proper inside diameter.   the
original hardware is not always easily fabricated nor can most be replaced.
on sprite hand brake rods they wear badly causing ungodly rattles.   my
bugeye does not rattle! and i have a very functional hand brake.  and with
all original hardware using new clevis pins(they are dirt cheap and
available at most hardware stores in varying lengths(if too long just cut
off the excess length if it offends!).  now, if you do not posess a welder i
bet you have a club member or a friend who does!  same goes for a good drill
or even a drill press!  be resourcefull!  you do not need new rods or levers
or pedals.  they all can be repaired back to zero lash states with little to
no agrivation.   possibly i over simplify these things?  but rather than
recreate the wheel some times the wheel just needs some repair work.   i
realise we live in an era of instant gratification.  find the part number
and order a new one.  but remember, thses cars come from an era where
tinkering, fabrication, and ingenuity were importaint factors in the
equation for repairs.    fixing what broke Vs. replacing what broke is a
dying to almost lost art.   i fix evrything i can here.   it's what i do.
give it a try and you might find some very rewarding results.....   :)

chuck.
the same darn bugeye for 29 years and counting!
been there.....broke that!