Re: Old Fart Update....

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Old Fart Update....
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:05:29 -0700
Cc: RBHouston@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
> As a kid....I was lucky...very lucky, for
> I grew up in the best of times I've
> seen thus far in my short stay on this
> part of the planet....

I could not say it better myself.  I was so fortunate to have grown up when it
was still safe for a kid to be a kid. I was also lucky to have been able to grow
up in two different worlds. After my dad died, my mother had to go to work and
felt that her sister could better deal with a tomboyish 8 year old. By the age
of
10, I was able to ride a bus anywhere in Portland, or between Portland &
Lewiston, ID by myself. I could track anything through the forest, and find my
own way out afterward, something I am now trying to teach my 12 year old
grandson, the city kid. I just wish that we could go back to the 50s and the
lifestyle we enjoyed then. A decent woman could safely walk the sidewalk in the
roughest neighborhood in Portland. Now, I live in a "low crime" area and carry a
hand gun wherever I go. Something is broken, and I don't know how to fix it.

Kate