DIY camber tool

To: "Mike MacLean" <macleans@earthlink.net>
Subject: DIY camber tool
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 16:12:19 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Mike,

I cut a piece of 1/4" plywood about 5" x12", such that the long edge when
pressed to the rim rests firmly against the top and bottom of the rim
without touching the tire. This gives you vertical panel of wood with one
face facing forward and one facing rearwards.  On the side you choose for
the front, put a brad at the top in the center of the board.  Tie a piece of
thread to the brad and a needle to the end of the thread such that the
needle doesn't hang below the bottom edge of the board.  Now put a long edge
against a carpenter's level and insure that it is perfectly vertical, and
put a mark on the board where the tip of the needle points.

Settle the car suspension by rolling it forward and back a bit.
Now when you press this super-duper custom camber gauge to your rim, the
needle will hang down and point to a position to one side or the other of
your "0" mark.  Mark the position on the board and then mark the position of
the other wheel as well.  Now you know the difference between R and L sides,
and how each differs from vertical.

Works great, cheap or free, burns well come winter.

Glen