how ta lube yer Speedo & tach

To: "David Carpenter" <d.carpenter7@verizon.net>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: how ta lube yer Speedo & tach
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 07:00:35 -0400
i run into this over and over with older cars , cars that sit for a very
long time between drives and cars from very hot climates like the south
west.   you will be cautioned against lubricants as they tend to "gum up"
but that is what they used to assemble the darn spedos and mechanical tachs.
it was a very very light oil.  over time as it dried out it became grease to
glue!  i have had great sucess with using a modeling #0 paint brush with
laquer thinner(caution! some of the movement pivots are a jewel looking
material but actually plastic! then you must use a plastic friendly
solvent!) and washing out the pivots or bearing surfaces where the movement
turns on.  this washes out the dried lubricant and removes the fuzzy dust
and dirt that (i can not figure out how the dirt gets in there,  but it
does!) acumulates in the drying oil and helps to gum up the works.  once
cleaned i use 3 in 1 oil.  it's thin, an oil, and will outlast your use of
the vehicle!  automatic trans fluid is too thin and will not stay in the
pivots well.  it tends to migrate in heat and will actually run off into the
housing and over time tends to cause an oil fog on the inside of the gauge's
lense.  (let's not go into how i learned that!)
now!  aplication of oil is a tedious project too!  try putting a drop on an
old hat pin or a "T" (macreme , craft type of pin) pin.  put the pin point
directly into the joint where the movement pivots on it's bearing.  and the
drop of oil on the pin will, with gravity's help, wick into the bearing
area.  now if ya get too much oil in there?  take a tissue, and roll it into
a point and just lightly touch the point of the tissue to the excess oil.
it will wick up into the tissue.  Q tips do not absorb as well as a tissue
will in this aplication (once again...don't ask...ok?) .   that oughta do it
fer clockwork movement lubrication for the DIY'ers.

chuck.
now back to my harley's revival...just gotta put the new rear tire on and
get a plate for it!