Re: tech question

To: "Deikis, John" <John.Deikis@med.va.gov>
Subject: Re: tech question
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:19:15 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
"Deikis, John" wrote:

> Paul:
> Is this referring to the cupped "washer" things in there?
> I butchered on of those up and smothed it out as much as I could when I
> assembled everything, but feel like I ought to buy new ones.  What do they
> do and are they under significant load?
> -John

Hi John,

The dished copper washer which I think your talking about is a bearing piece for

two of the differential gears.  If they get too thin, they will allow improper
tooth contact, like way out on the end of the teath, with the other gears in
that set and have strong tendency to break a tooth as the tooth contact gets to
be way out on the end instead of closer to the base.

The crush washer Jon was talking about is the one between the 2 pinion bearings.

This is what's used to detiremine the preload on the pinion and also with shims
the placement of the pinion in relation to the ring gear.

The washers you speak of (2A7062) are readily available and are inexpensive at
about $4 each.  The thrust washers (ATA7039) on the other 2 dif gears are flat
and now made out of a phenolic material and are about $5 ea..  An improvement.

Regards, Paul A