Re: Bombers--The Lost Squadron--No LBC 1 Jun 2003 08:39:20 -0400

To: cfchrist@earthlink.net (Charles Christ)
Subject: Re: Bombers--The Lost Squadron--No LBC 1 Jun 2003 08:39:20 -0400
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 09:27:51 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: DLancer7676@cs.com, Daniel1312@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Really!!

Who and where is the P-61 being done,
Chuck? God, it's gotta be about the only
one in existence on the planet. Lot of tooling and fabrication of
original stuff
going on for this one for sure!

They are indeed a serious addiction. Like
the sounds and smells of the old
castor oil lubricated rotary's of WW1....
you just can't get enough of this stuff once
you get started!

The Spitfires were lightweights (albeit
serious lightweights!) compared to the
Mustang and they were all lightweights
compared to the "Jug".  Bradley Air Museum in Hartford has an "N" model
Jug.

It wasn't so much the size of the entire
aircraft, as the relative size of the nose and fuselage from the wing,
forward
housing the massive radial and relatively
huge "paddle" prop. The later Grumman Bearcat had that same
"Thunderbolt" look
but was a lot lighter in construction...not
as "dense". Nothing graceful about these
when compared to the Mustang. I think of the British "Tempests" the same
way when comparing them to the lighter, more
graceful "Spits" and "Hurri's"....all engine
and guns...brute force....designed purely for the task, speed, strength
and hitting
power, and in this respect, beautiful in
their apparent "ugliness".

200 gph+ to the wall and at least 80
while cruising in "auto-lean" using the
purple stuff....I could use this stuff today
with a Judson!! :)

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)