Help - PC Memory upgrade question - No LBC

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Help - PC Memory upgrade question - No LBC
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 17:20:54 EDT
Hi list,

I am upgrading my PC memory for the first time ever and am not sure what to
buy in that what the exact specification should be:

I think I need PC100 SIMMS or PC 100 DIMMS.  I don't think I can mix both
without having problems.

If I go for DIMMS I need168 pin with a speed equal to or greater than 70ns -
does this mean 2 x 35ns or both have to be 70ns?  The most I can get with 2
DIMMS looks to be 64Mb + 64Mb = 128Mb

If I go for SIMMS I need 72 pin with a speed equal to or greater than 70ns -
does this mean all have to be 70ns?  The most I can get with 4 SIMMS is 128Mb
+ 128Mb+ 32Mb+ 32Mb = 320Mb.  Other alternatives go down to 128Mb.

Is it worth going for 264Mb, 272Mb, 288Mb or 320Mb on the 4 SIMMS in case I
one day do another upgrade and for W2000 or XP or is it better just to have the
max memory I can get on the DIMMS, run W98 and plan on a motherboard upgrade
in a couple of years time in conjuction with W2000 and XP?

The PC runs old MS works software (donations of MS Office suite gratefully
received if on the original install CD/licence pack), AOL version 7 and not
much
else. I never play games on it and don't have a sound card.  The monitor is
not large but one day I would like to install a DVD player (and sound card) and
watch movies on it?

All advice gratefully received especially on buying secondhand memory off UK
Ebay without wasting my money.

Thanks

Daniel1312