[no subject]

To: dmullis@adobe.com (Dan Mullis)
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 17:52:27 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net 2003 13:02:46 -0700
Hi, Dan...

Welcome back! Visited your site...very
nice car....cool "period" thin whitewalls!! :)

Frank's piece on the alt. conversion is
excellent. I run a VW Bosch alt. but other
types work just as well.

The first two gears of the Datsun box are
slightly lower than those in the stock ribcase. With the torque of a
1275, first
gear with the Datsun box using a 4.22
is (arguably) basically useless even for
autocross unless you are cammed for
top end....(or were using the basically
stock less torquey 948 and/or 1098).

I am using a 3.7 on a 1293 with a Cooper
S cam advanced 4 degrees for Metro
inlet timing...it's a low-end/mid-range
"street torque" spec. All works so well,
(street daily driver, no autocrossing)          I will probably go with
a Vicky B. 3.55
ring & pinion next time it comes up on
sale...just missed it last time 'round! :)

So, I think you may find the 3.9 will work
very well for both appications...you'll try
it and see in any case...I would!! :)

In terms of the shocks....would you be
looking for "Wheelrite"? Did the kit come
with plain black tubes? Or, maybe come
from FASPEC (I think they are out in
Oregon or up that way?) They carry or
used to carry the Wheelrite tube shock
conversion kits.

The plain black shocks provided are
VERY stiff and "bouncy" on "rebound"
over anything but the smoothest of surfaces?? I am asking here in order
try to assist in identifying your tube
shock conversion kit 'cause I think I may
know it....maybe! :)

OTOH, I would (a la Glen Byrnes post)
rethink this conversion (as long as you haven't done the rears yet) as
the world
finally has a concern (and person) who
knows how to rebuild these to the extent
they are actually better than new...like
he uses modern Delrin "bushi" and has different "strengths" of valving
available as well.

Lever shocks are his specialty. He is
Peter C. ....nosimport@mailbag.com

He's published an article on this...see
www.gerardsgarage.com under tech.
articles under Spridget stuff which explains all...very informative and
all who
use his rebuilts swear by them...

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)