CD-ROM - no LBC

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: CD-ROM - no LBC
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 14:09:39 EDT
Hi list,

OK, I haven't upgraded my memory yet but am close.  A did install my new hard
drive and it runs ok as 'D' though I am going to wait until I get W98 before
getting it fully operational as my only hard drive before I retire 'C'.

A new problem that I thought was related to the hard drive install was with
the CD-ROM.  I thought maybe I had some conflict or problem after installing
the hard drive but with the cover off the PC, swapping master to slave etc and
stuff like that the error message never changed:

     E:\is not accessible    The device is not ready

I get the same message with or without a CD in the tray.  Does this mean my
CD-ROM is kaput?  It does show up ok in contral panel so clearly exists, it
makes a spinning noise and is obviously looking on the CD.  The fact is though
that it always seemed to take a long time to look for stuff and the reason the
upgrade came about is because the PC wouldn't read a photo disc.  I had
'assumed' the issue with the photo disc was to do with W95/W98 compatibility
but
wonder now if the the CD-ROM was simply on its way out.

Any advice (can be off-list if preferred)

Regards

Daniel1312