Re: Hard drive and Windows 98 - NO LBC

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hard drive and Windows 98 - NO LBC
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:15:53 -0500
> I think your motherboard BIOS has the 2gig limitation? How big is your old
> drive?
> In Linux, your particular situation is resolved with the following
command:
> mount -tvfat /dev/hdb1 /mnt/oldwin98!

Not exactly, Dean. The problem is that he set up his new drive under Windows
95, thence the 2GB limit, since Win95 only understood 16-bit FAT partitions,
therefore 2GB maximum. The best solution is to use Partition Magic to
convert the partition to the 32-bit FAT preferred by Win98 and
simultaneously expand it to the full drive capacity.
Using Linux to mount an existing 16-bit partition will not, unfortunately,
help anything.
David Lieb