Re: MG Midget Buying Advice 2003 07:04:14 -0700

To: davriker@pacbell.net (davriker)
Subject: Re: MG Midget Buying Advice 2003 07:04:14 -0700
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:11:13 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: srk@mac.com (Steve Kirks), spridgets@autox.team.net
Steve...

I have to say that Dave is absolutely
correct from everything I have heard from
my fellow Spridgfire listers.

We have some listers with beautiful examples of the later
rubber-bumpered
cars. As a daily driver, the later cars are
easier to live with for the reasons pointed
out by Dave.

As far as I know, the only problems with
them consist of the single carb. set-up with it's problematic choke
apparatus and
factory installation of the thrust washers on the crankshaft, which tend
to fall out
of place as wear takes place, with what can be expensive consequences.

This last "fault" is a
major one for obvious reasons.

Most listers have the thrust washers "pinned" or "locktited" securely
into place
the "next time around" so this "fault"
effectively fails to exist.

If you are just looking for a fun driver,
there is nothing else that I can think of
that is "wrong" with Spridgfires

While the 1500 engine is not as tuneable
as the earlier Series A, it can be upgraded
with a good cam, etc. But as Dave pointed
out, it's longer stroke makes it more suitable to a mid-range "torque"
improvement rather than a high-rpm
HP improvement, however, it can be
made to go better than stock wihout a
hassle. There is also available (I believe)
a nice little dual 1.5 SU carb. set-up for
this engine as well, as I gather they came
stock with this for the non-US cars.

Now...if we can just hear from some
satisfied 1500 guys?

Is there a Doctor in the house? :):)