Re: Phantom Grip

To: rbc43@starband.net
Subject: Re: Phantom Grip
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:01:26 GMT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Roger,

Your report is much appreciated and couldn't be more timely.  I just got a 4.55
rear end that I was considering putting a Phantom Grip in for vintage racing.

Given your report, I'm going to give it a try.  My next race won't be until the
beginning of October, though, but I'll report on my experience then.

David Littlefield

--- "Roger Cotting" <rbc43@starband.net> wrote:

This is a somewhat belated Phantom Grip report.
I have knowledge of two Phantom Grips installed
and tested- mine and Sam Hamilton's. I'll tell
you what I know.
I installed mine in a 3.9 rear, intending to
putit in my car. Sam installed his in a 4.2. He
has an arrest-me red Bugeye with good power( he
uses 1-1/2 SU's)286 cam, headers aluminum head,
aluminum flywheel, lowered camber plates, etc.
He went to an autocross school at Wastenaw
County Community college in late April.He
reported that he could feel the Phantom grip
working in his car all through the day. He had
no wheel spin, reported increasing lockup as he
went through the turns- the more severe the
turn, the more lockup. He decreased his time
through the course by 2 seconds. He didn't see
any negatives with the Phantom grip. You can
talk to him at the Conclave in DC.
I put mine in a 4.2 before the Sprite Spree. In
the Auto test I didn't think that we went fast
enough to test the Phantom Grip. Mike Gigante
said he didn't feel any lock up. The pictures
don't show any wheel spin. The one pic of the
car that shows some smoke at the back wheel
seems to me to be oil smoke. MG can comment here.
In the autocross at Lake Tahoe, the car had
wheel spin at two corners with me and Dan
Parsons driving. In the autocross at the Sprite
Spree, I noticed no wheel spin and felt lockup
in several corners. The pics don't show any
either.
I found that the Phantom Grip was easy to
transfer from one rear end to another. I got the
transfer done an installed in the car in about 3
hours. I was being very careful, the Phantom
Grip being new and all.
I will try any tests that the group can come
with, within reason.