Re: Regulator for new fuel pump Fri, 4 Jul 2003 05:20:59 -0700

To: denadave@comcast.net (Dena & David Vrba)
Subject: Re: Regulator for new fuel pump Fri, 4 Jul 2003 05:20:59 -0700
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 08:46:54 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
You may or may not....

The pump you are running is the "correct"
lowest pressure Facet available and Webers run 1.5 to 2.5 and SU's about
2.0-2.5 as well.

Using this pump with a 45 DCOE set up
for the stock engine, I never had a problem while running without a fuel
pressure regulator. Not so when I "tuned"
the motor for much higher HP and moved
up to higher pressure Facets to ensure
adequate fuel at higher rpm's. At this point, I needed a regulator as
the pump
was capable of 8psi and flooding and
over-richness were obvious at anything but basically flat out.

I am currently running the same low pressure Facent as you on my more
mildly Cooper "S" spec. 1293
without a regulator and am
having no problems.

You CAN let the application tell YOU
what it needs.

Now what I am about to suggest might be
considered a little dangerous but, if you
hook up the pump and fire the engine up
and the carb. "floods" or obviously runs
rich (black smoke out the exhaust and
a general smell of fuel about the car), you
need the regulator.

Of course, just installing a regulator anyway, set as you suggest,
doesn't do
any harm in any event, either.

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)