engine/trans assembly

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: engine/trans assembly
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 16:58:53 EDT
my original engine and trans were estranged for some time, and seem now to be
going their seperate ways.  My engine has taken up with a new transmission
(of the same vintage, which is rare in second marriages), so I have parts of
two
cars coming together.  I'm confused and, since this area is sort of between
assemblies, finding a comprehensive blowup or description of the process has
been hard.  As the stakes are so high in this area please forgive the following
questions, some of which are stupid:

1)  in the absence of instructions I just tapped the pilot bushing into the
crank until it stopped, basically flush with the end of the crank.  This means
it's inside the flywheel.  I was surprised neither the alignment tool nor
input shaft actually fit into the bushing and assume the tapered area on the
end
of the input shaft just settles into the complementary tapered area on the
bushing.  Does all this seem right?

2)  My starter has a "spacer" with a lip that fits into the engine backing
plate, and also a wafer thin metal spacer for between the starter and thicker
spacer.  My first concern is that the starter gear BARELY misses contact with
the flywheel teeth at best.  how much space should I expect?

3)  Does it matter whether the bolt or nut ends of the starter mount bolts
face into the bell-housing and if so which way is best?

4)  Are the six bolts holding the clutch pressure plate on typically allen
head?

Thanks.  My memory for how this came apart isn't what I had hoped, but a lot
has happened since then.  I, the cars and all the parts moved to a new house
too.  The three car garage is a dream but the move took its toll, which is
being felt as re-assembly begins.

Happy 227th birthday, USA!

Mark M.