Clutch as switch and brakes from [141.151.191.185] at Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch as switch and brakes from [141.151.191.185] at Mon, 7 Jul 2003 23:37:30 -0500
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 00:38:25 -0400
I looked at the MC and it has a 7/8 on the side toward the passenger. OK
then, I'll assume it's the pressure plate loosing all it's strength and
the disc loosing the lining thickness and save up for a new set.

We hashed around the brakes last spring, but I lost the responses. Since
the rods were pulled out and dissasembled before I got the car, I
guessed at the length to set them. The factory manual says they are
preset and need no adjustment, fat lotta good that does me. I think the
clutch will be fine when replaced, but back to the brakes being poor,
someone said the rods should be the same length for both clutch and
brake. I have the brake rod about 1/4" or so longer than the clutch rod
right now. If I have the brake rod too long, it will not return the
piston as far forward when released and not have as much juice in each
stroke as it would if the piston traveled farther and filled with more
juice, right? The ratio between pedal and piston travel doesn't change,
but the fluid volume might if I'm already closer to the end of the sweet
spot of travel. Or am I just hoping for a miracle to happen to the drum
brakes? Anyone have drum brakes and care to tell me how many threads are
showing behind the jamb nut to give me a reference point?

Open to suggestion other than brake swaps, gotta stay as delivered 1960.

Thanks
Dave & Bobbie